Treasurer/Trustees – Relate
Relate Dorset and South Wiltshire provides a wide range of Relationship counselling services and Relationship Skills Training, for a wide range of individuals, including children, young people and adults, whether individuals, couples or families. We are also a centre accredited for Supervised Child Contact.
Relate Dorset was established in 1974 as part of the Relate Federation. Since then we have been supporting relationships across Dorset, South Wiltshire and South Somerset.
Our organisation is based in the tranquil, professional setting of the converted Middle Farm buildings in Poundbury, Dorchester.
All of our services can be accessed in Poundbury, and we also use a number of outposts across Dorset and in Salisbury and Yeovil so people don’t have to travel too far to get the help they need.
Being a charity, we don’t profit from any of the services we provide. We are mainly financed by donations from clients, grants, and external funding from our partnerships and contracts. We are committed to delivering inclusive, high quality services to our clients.
The role of Treasurer is vital to Relate Dorset and South Wiltshire.
The main duties of the Treasurer are:
- To receive accounting report from the employed Bookkeeper, and to prepare a summary of the accounts for presentation at Board meetings, (showing Income and Expenditure versus Budget), and to use this summary for Quarterly reporting to Relate National
- To contributing to the overall strategy by advising on financial implications of strategic plans
- To receive annual financial statement from the Centre’s accountants, and to present this to Centre staff and Trustees at the Annual General Meeting (normally held in September)
- To collaborate with the Centre Manager to create Annual and Half-yearly Budgets.
- To collaborate with the Centre Manager to create an Annual Review of Service Charges and Staff Pay Rates
- To review and make recommendations regarding investment/ savings accounts, and reserve funds
Board meetings take place approximately every 6 weeks, on Wednesdays, currently via Zoom, previously in the Poundbury (Dorchester) centre.
The Treasurer has responsibility for the financial affairs and governance of the charity, and as part of the Trustee team the Treasurer helps to steer the direction and governance of the Charity.
The Treasurer is also required to become a Trustee and Director of this charity.
Trustees apply their experience – in business, finance, or marketing, for example – to help the charity act in the best interest of its beneficiaries.
- Numeracy, and good analytical skills
- Ideally, experience in finance or accounting
- Understanding of financial management and reporting
- Microsoft Excel (or similar spreadsheet) skills
- Microsoft WORD and/or POWERPOINT skills
- Own computer and ability to communicate by email
- Strong communication skills
- Good inter-personal skills
- Ability and enthusiasm to learn all aspects of the charity
- Willingness to attend, with other trustees and/or centre manager, regional Relate Trustee meetings and/or annual Relate National Conference
The role is part-time and voluntary.
The effort required is:
- approximately one day’s effort, every 6 weeks, to create and present the Financial Reporting to the Board of Trustees
- approximately one day’s effort, every 6 months, to prepare for and meet with the Centre Manager, to provide full- and half-yearly budget
- approximately one-day’s effort every year, to prepare for and meet with the Centre Manager, to provide annual pay and service charge reviews
- approximately two day’s effort every year to attend regional Relate Trustee meetings and/or national Relate Conference
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, OR TO REQUEST A ‘TRUSTEE PACK, OR TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Relate Dorset and South Wilshire Centre Manager – Siân Merriott
Telephone: 01305 268690